Saturday, February 9, 2008

Super Bowl Ads

Context --
For me the only reason to watch the Super Bowl is for the ads. This is always fun.
Although I missed the midsection of the game (I preferred to watch the Hinckley biography), I did catch several that I liked and thought were persuasive. My favorite were: Audi Godfather, Bridgestone Tires Squirrel, Planters Unibrow, CareerBuilder Spider, and eTrade Baby. I also like the FedEx Pigeon, but more on that later.
How I would use this in class --
I had the students analyze theses ads looking for these elements: What claims are being made by the advertiser and how they are made. Use the rhetorical triangle to discuss the power of the argument. Are there logic fallacies? Consider what you have learned about images. What ideologies are embedded in the ad and what could their impact be on members of society? Is there intertextuality that must be understood by the viewer?
CareerBuilder Spider



eTrade Baby


Planters Unibrow
Bridgestone Squirrel



Audi Godfather

Sorry, I just had to add one more -- the talking stain!

No comments: