Saturday, March 15, 2008

Becoming Jane



Context

My sister lent me this movie appropriately right during my senior's study of Pride and Prejudice. I really like the film because I had not known the back story. I knew that Austen had never married, but I didn't know that she had received a proposal and had run off to marry! I see many connections to her and her sister's stories in Austen's novels. How proud I am of her that she had the courage, in her time, to write about them and that her brother believed in her enough to get them published. It's sad that she didn't live longer to give us more of her unbelievable insights into the romantic condition!
How I would use this in class
I would not use the whole film because there are so many good versions of Pride and Prejudice ( I use the 2005 version) to show, but I think using clips would be great to show a little of her times before reading the novel. Before the 2005 adaptation I used Emma with Paltrow to show the time of the novel.

No comments: