Sunday, March 9, 2008

News travels faster than being there


Context -- I was spending a few days in Las Vegas while my husband attended the World of Cement convention. I really just sat in my dumpy hotel room in the Sahara doing homework. I received an email from a student's parent in Provo about an assignment, so I responded that I was in LV, but would take care of it when I returned on Monday. She emailed back that she hoped I wasn't in the Monte Carlo since she is watching it burn on the news. Here I was in Las Vegas a few blocks from the burning hotel and I find out about it in an email from Provo! That's the magic of communication technology.

How I could use this in class -- I'm not sure that I could connect this idea with classroom content, but I'm sure that it would involve emailing about an event. This is similar to the President Hinckley text message event.

No comments: