Sunday, March 23, 2008

Do it Yourself Comics



Context
I know that Comic Life is an inexpensive program that comes on all our school's Macs. But using it to really a make a comic strip is another thing. You have to import pictures and then add balloons and text. Not really like a real comic strip. Well, welcome the free online program called Bitstrips. Created by a Canadian cartoonist, Bitstrips allows much more freedom in creating real comic strips. There are a queue of characters to choose from and you can give them different expressions, or you can create your own characters! There are so many options here that I had a great time creating myself and my husband. I want to create so many other characters that can live in my comics.

This is my first character - Honey Husband


How I can use this in my classroom

This is so fun that I almost stopped editing my doc just to create a bunch of characters and then stick them into funny situations. I know that my students will love this! One of the problems that I had with the comic strips we did in the past was lack of artistic talent. Now that problem is solved. I don't know if there are different backgrounds or props, but you can make your characters move into different positions. When I teach the conventions of comics, I have had my students create a comic strip from a story (usually a familiar fairy tale) with a partner. They had to draw it all, but this would help with that. I don't know if you can change camera angles or other cinematic techniques used in real comics, but I guess I'll just have to play with it some more. Maybe after the semester has ended...

No comments: